In Flanders 1 in 4 needs psychological help one day. Over a million Flemish people are being treated for a depression or a burn-out, an unprecedented number of people who have been seeking assistance of a psychologist or coach.
Therapy is an eight-part series that will peek into the intimate space of the therapist and their clients. In season 1, seven therapists - psychiatrists, child psychologists, a geriatric psychologist and a grief psychologist - open the door to their consulting room. Standalone cameras capture the sessions with their clients. A woman who fears she failed the upbringing of her children, an adopted girl that no longer wants to live, an elderly man who regrets his failed marriage.
In this series people open up their soul and let us see into it, they unveil their innermost feelings.
Therapy peeks into the life of the therapists, too. How do they deal with what they hear, what stories do they take home, how do they work? All this makes for a fascinating account of this profession.
This series provides an insight into the world of psychotherapy, and into the struggles and longings we all face.
Therapy season 2 will be airing in the autumn 2020.
- Working title – Therapy
- Director / Content editor – Annelies De Ceulaer
- Length – 8 x 45min
- Original Broadcaster – VRT / Canvas (Flemish Public Broadcaster)
- Shooting - 2017 and 2018
- First season - 20 march 2019
- Second season: spring 2021
- Distribution by: Lineup Industries.
- Nominations: Humo's Ha! (an anual television price for 'best television program' by weekly paper Humo) & Diversity Award VRT (an award that is granted by the public broadcasting network)
- Awards: Silver at New York Film Festival , Silver at World Media Festival