In Flanders, 1 in 4 will eventually need psychological help. Over a million Flemish people are being treated for a depression or a burn-out. The number of people who have been seeking assistance of a psychologist or coach is unprecedented.
Therapy is an eight-part series that will offer a peek into the intimate space between the therapists and their clients. Seven therapists - psychiatrists, child psychologists, a geriatric psychologist and a grief psychologist - open the door of their consulting room. Standalone cameras capture the sessions, where the clients unveil their innermost feelings. A woman who fears she fell short in the upbringing of her children, an adopted girl who no longer wants to live, an elderly man who regrets his failed marriage.
Therapy peeks into the life of the therapists, too. How do they deal with what they hear, what stories do they take home, how do they work? All this makes for a fascinating account of this profession.
This series provides an insight into the world of psychotherapy, and into the struggles and longings we all face.
The second season of Therapy will air in early 2022.
- Director / Content editor – Annelies De Ceulaer
- Length – 8 x 45min
- Original Broadcaster – VRT / Canvas (Flemish Public Broadcaster)
- Shooting - 2017 and 2018
- First season - 20 march 2019
- Second season: 2022
- Distribution by: Lineup Industries.
- Nominations: Humo's Ha! (an anual television price for 'best television program' by weekly paper Humo) & Diversity Award VRT (an award that is granted by the public broadcasting network)
- Awards: Silver at New York Film Festival , Silver at World Media Festival